Senate’s municipal experience goes back almost four decades. Senate is currently appointed as consulting engineers to over 50 cities, boroughs, townships, and authorities in southwestern Pennsylvania. Senate has a distinguished record of meeting local government public works engineering needs.
We offer a full array of municipal engineering and related services including:
Grant and Loan Applications/Permitting/Planning
Senate Engineering Company works closely with our clients to conceptualize new facilities and evaluate and select the best available site. Once defined, we prepare project financial data, investigate and present financing alternatives and assist in arranging public/private funding. Concurrently with financing we contact the Federal, State and Local permitting agencies and begin the site, environmental impact, social-economic, environmental and archeological investigations. We prepare the permit applications, assist in filing with the proper agencies and expedite approval of all necessary permits.
Senate Engineering Company’s professional staff provides comprehensive design services. Our design experience includes:
- Parks/Recreational Areas
- Roads/Highways/Bridges/Paving Programs
- Municipal Buildings & Ancillary Structures
- Stormwater Management Systems
- Wastewater Collection Systems
- Wastewater Treatment Systems
- Erosion & Sedimentation Control
- Water Treatment Systems
- Water Distribution Systems
- Urban Redevelopment
Senate Engineering Company’s professional staff conducts facility designs, prepares complete bid packages and project cost estimates, solicits bids, evaluates the bids received and prepares recommendations for award. During construction, our engineers, managers and technicians oversee the contractor’s work, approve quantities for payment, assure compliance with contract plans and specifications, conduct project progress meetings, establish and maintain the project schedule, conduct pre-final and final monitoring, oversee facility testing and approve the facility for acceptance.
Surveying and Mapping
Site information is put into digital format from aerial photography or from field survey for use on our CADD work stations. Ground control for aerial mapping and topographic surveys are performed by Senate Engineering Company’s survey crews using modern up-to-date electronic instruments equipped with electronic data collectors, and global positioning survey equipment. Our crews are qualified to perform first order surveys, global positioning surveys (GPS) and hydrographic surveys.
Our certified NICET, ACI, and bridge technicians provide experience in all phases of construction ensuring your projects are built to specifications. Senate technicians are knowledgeable in the construction of:
- New Buildings
- Building Additions / Renovations
- Waterline Installation
- Storm/Sanitary Sewer Installation
- Water/Wastewater Treatment Facility Construction
- Street/Road/Highway Construction Approval and Verification of Quantities, Maintenance of Records for Field Revisions
- Trails and Recreational Projects
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Senate Engineering Company has been involved with GIS development for over fifteen years and offers high precision professional services for its municipal GIS clients. We have performed GIS work for over 40 communities.
Our main focus in serving local governments has been towards the development and maintenance of municipal GIS systems. We are actively involved in all phases of GIS development from needs assessment and data development to on-site training and mobile GIS once the system is completed. Examples of coverages that we have created include:
– Base mapping layers – Tax Parcels – Roads – Soil Analysis
– Sanitary Sewer Systems – Railroads – Water Systems
– Land Use – Drainage – Zoning Districts – Steep Slopes – Lakes
– Building footprints – Fire hydrants – Utility – Floodplains
– Contour lines – Storm Sewer Systems
Senate aids communities with their stormwater management programs for compliance under the Department of Environmental Protection’s (EPA) National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) Program.
Senate is currently working toward compliance with ten municipal clients under this program. We can assist your community in developing Best Management Practices (or minimum control measures) under the MS4 program federal regulations.
These categories are:
- Public Education & Outreach on Stormwater Impacts
- Public Participation & Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations & Maintenance
Senate’s services include:
- GPS of outfall locations
- Chemical screening of illicit outfall discharges
- Complete storm sewer system mapping
- Assist in public education and outrach
Computer Aided Drafting & Design (CADD)
Senate Engineering Company presently produces 100% of its drawings on CADD for all of its clients, and thoroughly understands the process of using CADD for design and drawing production. Senate presently operates multiple CADD workstations full time, using Autodesk AutoCAD Land Development Desktop, with Civil Design and Survey, – Release 3 and Bentley Microstation V8.
Contact us for more information on Senate’s Municipal Engineering experience.